Friday, June 22, 2007

Montreat how I love thee...


I was so excited to get to spend the last few days in Montreat. The weather was beautiful and so were the mountains. I love Montreat I am so lucky to have gone there for youth conferences when I was in High School.

In other news I preached last weekend. It went really well and I'm happy with how my sermon turned out. I will be preaching again on July 15th which is sooner then I thought. I got some great compliments on my last sermon but I haven't met with my committee yet so I don't know what they really think just yet. This weekend I'm doing the children's sermon which is an actual sermon here. It's more like the children's message then anything else but I'm still pretty nervous. I hope I make a point and I hope what I say can relate to the scripture as well as the Baptism that we'll be doing. I'm also excited to be helping with a Baptism. I don't know exactly what I'll be doing just yet but we'll see!
I really like the congregation and the area where I'm working. However the other day I went to a meeting for VBS with Jeff and it didn't go so well. Here several churches of all denominations do it together so I went to one of the planning meetings. Apparently before this meeting they were all told that I would be there every single night and willing to help out with anything and everything which is not what Jeff and I discussed. In fact we agreed that I wouldn't be working with kids at all. When I clarified that to them they took it as me not liking kids and not wanting to work with them. I feel so bad for what I said and horrible that anyone would think I didn't like kids. The worst part is not only did they take it that way but they told other people that too. So now there is like this giant rumor going around other churches that I don't like kids! Of course my congregation knows that's not true and Jeff of course knows it's not true. He even said if it gets back to him he's going to shut it down immediately and is really sorry that it got taken the wrong way. I still feel bad and tomorrow I have to go help them set up for VBS which means the whole time they're all going to be thinking the wrong thing about me!
It's hard when people don't understand my job or the goals of my job. They think that I'm a minister and should be willing to do everything all the time and while I like the fact that I am considered a minister already I'm not and I'm really not ready to assume all that responsibility. I'm still learning and that above and beyond anything else it what I want them to know and understand.
Other then my misunderstanding things are going great and I'm really happy. I hope to have some more pictures of Pulaski. I have a day off coming up and I want to go to and overlook and take some great shots. Miss all my friends!

1 comment: