Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Adventures in Pulaski...the journey begins


So here I am in Pulaski, Va. I've been here since Saturday afternoon. The first thing I did was meet up with my supervisor at his house and have dinner with his family. He has three kids: 9, 5 & 4. A boy and two girls. They are crazy!! They're so energetic and not in the least bit shy. They immediately introduced me to their cat "Sugar" whom they sort of adopted. We had a "kid friendly" dinner complete with macaroni and cheese (YUM). Jeff (supervisor) then took me to my apartment and I got settled in.



My APT: I love it! I have cable and it's the PERFECT size for just little old me. I have a couch (which I don't have at seminary so I'm excited about that) and a kitchen table and a great size kitchen. The apartment has not been used by the church even though it's owned by a member of the church so all the appliances are new. Never been used. New fridge, stove and microwave. The coffee maker is probably older then I am but it works and they even bought me Starbucks coffee to brew (how sweet!). So I'm very happy. The apartment is probably as old as the one I lived in in Jacksonville so it's great and works out really well. The only real downside is that the bed is super mushy which I'm not used to but I sleep well and hard!

Church: I could throw a rock and hit it! It's so close! I walk there every morning and yesterday I forgot my coffee so I walked back home, grabbed it and made it back in under 5 minutes. My office is in the manse upstairs and I have a really nice view. My committee for my internship is great Jeff even made sure there is a youth on the committee which I totally appreciate.

Town: Pulaski is small. No really, it's like, 10 major blocks, and 2 major roads. I walked here to the library today. I'm really excited that I found some internet and it's only a walking distance away. I LOVE that I can walk everywhere. To tell you the truth it's about 50 times safer then walking everywhere in Jacksonville and there's no telling how much safer it is then Atlanta!!

So far: I did some hospital visits yesterday which was my first experience with pastoral care. It was ok. I'm actually really proud of myself and how I handled it and how well it went. I was a little nervous but I really like Jeff a lot and he was there with me the whole time. I was happy just to get the experience and exposure. I actually plan on dropping by to visit the people we saw again soon.

There's actually a lot to tell but I'm going to wait until I have some pictures to put up. I didn't know if there would be wireless internet at the library when I walked over here so I didn't bring any. The town is beautiful and I'm having a great time. I miss everyone a lot but I especially miss how spoiled I am in Atlanta with the shopping and the internet! Haha! Oh well a summer without internet won't kill me :)

<3 Jessi

1 comment:

Whitney said...

sounds awesome! i hope you have a great time. miss you!